"QUALITY OF WORK LIFE" - By MaddaliSwetha
Quality of work life(QWL) is the quality of relationship between employees and the total working environment.It seeks to create those conditions in the organization,which
- Promote individual learning and development.
- Provide individuals with influence and control over what they do and how they do it.
- Make available to the individuals interesting and meaning full work as a source of personal satisfaction and a means of to valued personal rewards.
Walton defines QWL as a process by which all organization responds to employee needs for develop mechanisms to allow them to share fully in making decisions that design their lives at work.HR provides 8 criteria to evaluate QWL program.
- Adequate and fair compensation.
- Safe and health environment.
- Development of human capacities.
- Growth and security.
- Social integration.
- Constitutionalism (workers Rights).
- Total life space (Work having a balance role in the individual's life considering the requirement of leisure).
- Social relevance's.
In terms of management point of view,it relates to a variety of efforts to improve productivity through improvements in the human input.Thus,QWL helps in increasing task effectiveness and in unfolding human potential.
Advantages of QWL:
- More positive feelings towards ones self, improved job satisfaction and involvement,stronger commitments to the organization goals.
- Improved physical and psychological health.
- Greater growth and development of the individual as a person and as a member of the productivity organization.
- Decreased absenteeism and turn over and lesser accidents
- Higher quality and quality of output of good and services.
- Healthier,satisfied and productive employees.
- Efficient,adaptive and profitable organization.
- Improved labor-manger combination.