Friday, January 02, 2015

How Good Are Your Management Skills? – By MaddaliSwetha

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things. - Peter Drucker

In business, we often seem to focus less on good management, and more on the glamorous and exciting work of leadership.

However, managers are responsible for making sure that things are done properly. And while leaders may bring our vision, inspiration and challenge, these things count for nothing without the efficient implementation brought about by good management.

To be a great manager, you must have an extensive set of skills from planning and delegation to communication and motivation. Because the skill set is so wide, it's tempting to build skills in the areas of management that you're already comfortable with. But, for your long-term success, it's wise to analyse your skills in all areas of management and then to challenge yourself to improve in all of these areas.

Conclusion:

Management skills not only applicable to one particular field it also applied to all fields in organization hierarchy structure. It should be noted that each manager has his/her style of management in managing their sub-ordinates or their superiors and work management. Likewise, some managers are strict in rules whereas some manager’s deals work in amicable style.

Here is the small case study: (My Experience)

In MBA project time, I and my father use to go by bus to office from Kukatpally to Ameerpet zone to reach  office as Hyderabad is very heavy traffic zone in this particular area and my father drop me from there he left to do his personal work. Meanwhile my Company CEO is on leave so he left some duties of his sub-ordinates. The sub-ordinate informed me that there is a holiday for MBA students, immediately I called up to my father to wait at near bus stop. I went and said that there is no office for MBA group.

So, my father gave me offer why don’t you join in the TATA AIA LIFE INSURANCE as Agent. I was discomfort to accept it and I said to my father – Please give me a chance I want to join as a trainer but not as an agent.

Okay darling! It’s your wish my father said. As my father wants to join as an agent he decided to take me to his office in Begumpet. I have seen a senior manager in office and his operations in his desk as his style of managing is very different also amicable with a supportive mindset which all agents appreciate.

As I have being waiting for my father as well as I am observing them - office construction, desk panel, library books, office compliments gifts which appeared in front office desk, cashier counter, printing machine, waiting agents, clients, performance appraisals poster with signed persons on the wall, Experience Trainer teaching style, office staff timings, telecallers, security person in the front office, secret cameras, cleaners, office tea time and car parking area.

I was so bored, the manager calls me inside his office room and told me to sit in a chair beside him that my father can accomplish his training class. In meanwhile I observed his e-mails in his personal laptop I was tension after watching their E-mails operations from their user account id. Their sent data to their agents and we often delete extra mails which come from sponsored in Gmail’s account Inbox but each mail is recorded in their data based every day with the time and date.

Secondly the good thing which I learned from the manager: Whenever he has worked to take printout of each mail and with the forms to fill up that he should submit to his agents. Before going out of print – out, he says “Hey please come and sit in my chair for few minutes be feel free to sit enjoy the day sitting in my chair its manager chair”. I was surprised after listening to his words. Meanwhile he left his room and comeback I was a little bit confused whether it is a marketing trick he played or just to inform his agents not to sit in his chair and not to touch or not to disturb him office data on his desktop.

After my father comes back from training classes and on leaving time I interact with the manager in office tea time. Sir! Would you mind if I ask this in front all. He said yes, please go on. Then I said sir why you said like that to sit in your chair as you are the authorized of your duties on that particular desk panel.

His response to my words in amicable way – After all it’s a just office chair, To sit on that particular one should be brave to tackle any work and should focus on his office activities but I wanted to know about my agents who are efficient and effective like me to become a manager in this organization which I can refer them their CV’s also interested to know who are going to become manager on my sit or my desk panel after me.

“Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things.” – Peter Drucker



No comments: